torstai 14. elokuuta 2014

From: Hong Kong International To: Helsinki - Vantaa

About three months ago, during one of the many sleepless nights I had before going to Hong Kong I was playing with different scenarios about Hong Kong. What if I don't like my job? What if I start to miss home? What if I don't meet any nice people? Knowing myself (or so I thought) I was 100% sure that I would cry myself to sleep for at least 10 times while embracing a Finnish book and looking at pictures of reindeer and hills.

If only I had known how wrong I was. What if I don't like my job? I can't remember a single day that I actually wouldn't have wanted to go to work. What if I start to miss home? I can't remember myself wishing I was in Finland. Except once - as I was walking home in this deadly heat - I think I wished I could be in the middle of a Finnish winter.

What if I don't meet any nice people? And here's where I went really wrong. During these three months I've built my social life up again from a scratch. I've met people with whom I can be myself . People, that I want to keep in touch with in the future.

Before I left Finland, I read through (more like memorised by heart) around three Hong Kong guide books and marked all the things that I wanted to do during my three months. I wanted to...

....Visit Macao


....Go to at least one hike




....See Big Buddha


...Visit Disneyland


 ...See Lan Kwai Fong ("once")



...See Infinity Pool


 ...Spend time on the beach 



 ...if possible, visit an Asian convention



...and of course Victoria Peak


...and Afternoon tea


...and first and foremost - learn how to enjoy life.



And I ended up doing every single thing from my little bucket list, most of them more than once. What surprised me the most was how much better I learned to know myself. I learned that hey, I can actually do things. I learned to smile more and rejoice the little things like my doorman saying hello to me every morning.

I haven't really talked about my job and I won't talk about it in the future either - at least not in this blog - but I've got to say that career wise Hong Kong was definitely the right choice. I learned so much more both about entrepreneurship and marketing and I think I know just a little bit better what I want to do for living in the future.

To conclude, I think I have spent the best summer of my life so far. That summer comes to an end tomorrow as my plane takes off to Finland. Of course, it feels horrible to leave it all behind and I will surely miss this place but right now, it's my time leave for the new adventures!


P.S I still have no clue how to write my name in Chinese although I've added that fancy little picture to all of my posts.

Ei kommentteja :

Lähetä kommentti

Kiitos:)